If you are interested in achieving sustainability for your home, buy your own vegetables, and fish production then what you are actually looking for are aquaponics systems. This innovative system combines the growth of plants and aquatic animals in one unique and amazing way.
You may already have heard about hydroponics, which is a way of growing plants in water. Add some fish into this water, and as result you will get an aquaponics system.
The brilliant side of the system is the way that plants and fish coexists, offering one another what they need to survive and grow. Water from an aquaculture system is fed to the plants where they break down the fishes by-products, which are then utilized by the plants as nutrients; this also provides plenty of clean air for the fish tank. The life cycle of the two units in aquaponics is really great and not comparable with anything else you have known until now.
The system’s installations are available in a large variety, from small indoor systems to big outdoor ones or even commercial size units.
If you are excited about this new way of organically growing vegetables and fish continue reading in order to get useful information and instructional videos.
Why Should Every One Have an Aquaponics System at Home?
- 100% Hands Free! – You just need to set up the system and then you literally don’t have to put your hands on it anymore. Sit and enjoy the amazing cycle of your aquaponics system, and admire how the fish provide your plants the needed nutrients at the same time the plants clean and aerate the fish water.
- No Need for Maintenance – The system is made for the modern lifestyle, which means it is so simple to maintain.
- No More Weeds – The plants grow into grow beds, which sit on top of the tank away from the soil. Plus the nature of the grow bed’s media doesn’t allow new weeds to sprout.
- No Need for Water! Really Amazing – You will not even have to water your aquaponics garden. The system is water saving, which is good for both the environment and your pocket.
- No More Soil – Means no plowing or raking, which means you can spend your days relaxing!
- No More Manure – Why? Because the aquaponics system works without soil, and the fish provide all the needed fertilizer.
- No Soil Diseases or Pests – There is no need for chemicals or pesticides since your system doesn’t use any soil, and the grow beds are placed by default in high places away from the ground.
- Entertaining And Easy – Aquaponics is a quite simple procedure; after you get the needed knowledge, you will enjoy watching the fish and plants grow day-by-day. Many schools choose aquaponics as a perfect way to teach the function of ecosystems.
Informative Books for Aquaponics
When you have issues and you are serious about finding a solution there generally is a book about it. This rule runs also for aquaponics. There are so many perspectives to this kind of farming, which means there are so many ways of proceeding with your aquaponics system. It is really helpful to have the information you need in your hands.
Aquaponics System Fish Species
Here is a complete collection video, which contain information about the types of fish you can grow in your aquaponics system. In this video, we will present a life sample of each fish so everyone can make the right fish selection for their aquaponics system.
Aquaponics System Plants Species
By now you probably are wondering what types of plants can grow in your aquaponics garden. Well the good news is that in your aquaponics garden you can choose among a wide variety of plant species. All your favorite herbs and vegetables will grow successfully in the grow beds of your aquaponics garden.
Below you will find a typical list of aquaponics plants to choose from:
Home Aquaponics Beginners Kit
The easiest way to get involved in the Aquaponics farming field is definitely by buying a beginner’s kit. The small sized kit will provide you with the things you will have to know. Actually it is a cheap and easy way for anyone who wants to learn about the aquaponics innovation, which costs you very little money. You can purchase some relevant guidebooks but this is the cheapest and fastest way to start.
Well, as you will see the kit is made for kids and will have some ornamental fish or some you can eat for lunch. As already stated this is the cheapest kit you can buy that will give you the chance to try the function of aquaponics. The kit operates as an indoor aquaponics system, which is a rather nice choice unless you wish to spend hundreds of dollars on start-up experience.
By the term backyard aquaponics we mean the gardening system that is established in the backyard of our house. The system consists of a plastic tank, which is where the fish are placed and grow beds that sit on top of the tank. Your probably wondering how the system operates. Well aquaponics recirculates water from a fish tank through grow beds. The nutrients from the fish waste feed the plants, and the plants filter the water to keep the fish healthy. There are really only two components to this system, which are the fish tank and the grow beds with a pump moving water in and out of the two. The water passes through the roots of the plants before it drains back into the fish tank. The plants extract the water and nutrients that they need to grow via the fish waste, which in turn cleans the water for the fish. This cycle continues on and on.
If you are interested in big production of fresh fish and organic vegetables from an automated system, this system has to be your first choice!